A Macro is a set of instructions to perform one or more actions. Typically they’re used to automate tedious or repetitive tasks, such as formatting all cells of a worksheet in a particular way. The simplest way to create a Macro is to record it using the macro recorder.
Recording a Macro
- Open the workbook and activate the worksheet where the marcro is to be recorded.
- Click into the active cell where the macro should be begin
- Click the view Ribbon
- Clcik the Macros Button
- Select Record Macro from the drop down list
- The Record Macro dialog box is displayed
- Type a name for the macro and enter a shortcut key for your macro
- Type in the purpose of the macro in the description text box
- Select a storage location for the macro – it can be stored in the active workbook i.e This Workbook, thus making it available only when this workbook is opened. It can also be stored in the Personal Macro Workbook; Excel creates a hidden workbook that is automatically opened behind the scences, every time Excel isstarted. The macro is then available to all workbooks
- Click OK to begin recording
- Perform the actions planned for the macro
- Click the Stop Recording button when complete